How to insert a Trello Project Board
We recommend you create a project management doc. This allows to embed and make a Trello board accessible and visible from within a CAN Doc, making it easily available for project members via the Docs list or in any page. You can use project boards to feature your project(s), gather file attachments and links related to a project (links must be pasted and files uploaded). Boards allow you to create, assign and follow tasks. Boards can also be used for FAQs and Support.
To embed a Trello Project Board in Doc or page follow these steps:
- In a separate browser window or tab, create a Trello board on trello.com. You will need to open an account there if you haven't one already. You can sign up with a google account.
- Make sure you give a short and distinctive board name in relation to the project name.
- Create a custom group page in the group you administer or go to your selected group and create a doc. Docs are accessible on the group's sidebar menu.
- Name your Doc preferably with the same name as the one chosen for the Trello Board for easy retrieval.
- In the content editor, first click on the visual tab to get the advanced editing toolbars to appear.
- Select the 'planet earth' icon (iFrame) the last on the right hand side of the second toolbar line, an iFrame property box will open.
- The URL to paste here for optimal display is the URL of the Trello Board modified the following way: for example for the board https://trello.com/b/md0cljHs/can-test-group-trello, you must paste https://trello.com/b/md0cljHs.html i.e. replace /name-of-the-board by .html
- Set the width to 100%, the length to 600 and alignment left.
- Select 'Enable scrollbars'.
- Save the iFrame. The Board is embedded.
- We recommend you add a link to the board's URL for direct access the board in a dedicated window.
- If you are in a doc, select the + Associated Group and +Access permissions for the doc. This is important as it will determine where and by whom the doc will be seen and findable.
Create one or more tags based on the main topic or topics of your doc, keeping the following points in mind:
- The total number of tags should be five or less.
- All tags should be about something that can help people find your document easily when looking for the topic think keywords.
- Tags should include a the short name of your project and workgroup/organization if there is one involved, so that all the documents relative to them can easily be found.
- Tags should consists of only one or two words, not a phrase (if a phrase comes to mind, split it up into two or more simple terms and make those into tags).
- It is a good idea to use tags that already exist – refer to the tags on the list of docs of your group that may be applicable to your doc and project!
- Select as + Parent as required.
- Save the doc or the page. Your trello board should now appears on the page. And your doc should appear in the Docs list acccessible from the docs tab on the group sidebar.
- Post a comment under the board with a link to the URL of the doc if you wish to announce its creation to the group -docs creation and modification do not appear in group activity-.
- If you get lost or the board disapears, you can get it back by refreshing the page.
- If this doesn't work: you can always retrieve the board from you boards list on Trello using the login that you used for signing up on trello and creating your board. It can be handy to work directly from trello. The advantage of having it embedded is to have it accessible from within the project groups.
Test and play with a project board sample here. You will also find tutorials and tips there.
Don't hesitate to post your comments and questions below.
Comment posting has been disabled on this doc.