Issues?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Helene Finidori Helene Finidori 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Helene Finidori
    Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

Post your problems, questions and issues here.

The comments and requests we receive are forwarded to the plugin and software developers so that they can integrate them in their updates. This is an open source software so we are dependent on the developers who improve it. They may or not decide to integrate what we suggest. So we count on you to provide the maximum of support to 'advocate' an enhancement request, and the maximum of analysis of a bug or issue in order to help its resolution.

Requests

• Could we have the program not erase partial entries in a form, like if you go to another page and come back.   Or… at least prompt you to OK a page change if you have unsaved text?
    • Could we have the types of pages, like "group", "forum" and "project" pages visually distinct from each other?
    • Could we have the documents in the document list, the forums and topics on the forum list, and the projects on the project list on, available on pull-down menus from the Group's main page?
    • Could we have the "quit the group button" in small type at the bottom of the page, along with a links to the help & bug report pages, and the style and reference pages?
    • We really can't publish anything without spell check, Where's that?
    • Could we be allowed to edit comments as needed?  Allowing only once is oddly restrictive.
    • houldn't we be able to search the forums for key words, or tags.
    • There's an option to reply to an individual comment, not just the group in general.  Couldn't we have it display a chosen thread of replies, and have a "tree view" of all the forum's threads.  That used to be standard, on the Usenet discussion groups sites 20 years ago… !!

Bugs

I find odd HTML code turning up unexpectedly in saved Forum Comments.  It's not that I'm using the "HTML" tab.   It seems to occur when I paste in text from somewhere else, but happens whether I use the "plain text" or the "word text" insertion tools.   When I paste in text I don't see the HTML code.  The odd code appears after saving it. 

1. Even when I go back and edit the Comment to erase the odd code showing up, it again looks fine in the Visual edit window, but similar code appears after the edit is saved.
    2. – on onemessage I pasted the top two pp's from "notepad" (a text only editor completely free of HTML), both directly and by either of the text insertion tools, getting the problem all three ways, and then typed another pp follow ing them on the last effort.  Even that came back with: "typed directly into the Visual tab of the edit window…."
    3. Sometimes I've created a "new Topic", like the first time I tried to make the "General Discussion" page on the Inst the Commons group, but if it got created somewhere else…    don't know where it went.     It' appeared in the accumulative group feed on the main group page, but nowhere else.  I eventually got one that appeared in the Forum list.
    4. I've had the same problem with my Comments on the Forum to be posted to "the ether" in some odd way, that they don't appear on the Forum to which they're posted, but appear on the combined group Activity Feed on the Group's main page. So…   It might have to do with something residing in my past buffer…??? causing the following bugs too

Requests

1. Could we have the program not erase partial entries in a form, like if you go to another page and come back.   Or… at least prompt you to OK a page change if you have unsaved text?
    2. Could we have the types of pages, like "group", "forum" and "project" pages visually distinct from each other?
    3. Could we have the documents in the document list, the forums and topics on the forum list, and the projects on the project list on, available on pull-down menus from the Group's main page?
    4. Could we have the "quit the group button" in small type at the bottom of the page, along with a links to the help & bug report pages, and the style and reference pages?
    5. We really can't publish anything without spell check, Where's that?
    6. Could we be allowed to edit comments as needed?  Allowing only once is oddly restrictive.
    7. Shouldn't we be able to search the forums for key words, or tags.
    8. There's an option to reply to an individual comment, not just the group in general.  Couldn't we have it display a chosen thread of replies, and have a "tree view" of all the forum's threads.  That used to be standard, on the Usenet discussion groups sites 20 years ago… !!

Bugs

I find odd HTML code (extra <p> and <span> marks and other stuff) turning up unexpectedly in saved Forum Comments.  It's not that I'm using the "HTML" tab.   It seems to occur when I paste in text from somewhere else, but happens whether I use the "plain text" or the "word text" insertion tools.   When I paste in text I don't see the HTML code.  The odd code appears after saving it.

1. – Even when I go back and edit the Comment to erase the odd code showing up, it again looks fine in the Visual edit window, but similar code appears after the edit is saved.
      – on one message I pasted the top two pp's from "notepad" (a text only editor completely free of HTML), both directly and by either of the text insertion tools, getting the problem all three ways, and then typed another pp follow ing them on the last effort.  Even that came back with: "typed directly into the Visual tab of the edit window…."
      – it might be caused by first typing in the HTML window, and copying text from there to paste in the Visual window, that could not be filtered out by the text insertion tool…? 
      – But that wasn't the case on this page, copied from the prior very messed up comment above, to Notepad (a pure text editor), then cleaned up in Word, then inserted here using the Word insertion tool….(I give up)  There are lots of other bugs in the editor too…
    2. Sometimes I've created a "new Topic", like the first time I tried to make the "General Discussion" page on the Inst the Commons group, but if it got created somewhere else…    don't know where it went.     It' appeared in the accumulative group feed on the main group page, but nowhere else.  I eventually got one that appeared in the Forum list.
    3. I've had the same problem with my Comments on the Forum to be posted to "nowhere" in some odd way, … and not appear on the Forum to which they're posted, but appear on the combined group Activity Feed on the Group's Main Page. So…   It might have to do with something residing in my past buffer…??? causing the following bugs too

Hope this works

Request

It would be greatly preferred to have Notifications with

1. The name of the sender and the subject of the post as the name of the sender and subject of the Notificaiton, so we can see what the subject and sender were without opening the email…
    2. Formatted in the way the post was, not designed to confuse the reader about what they are reading
    3. Especially for Notifications of the author's own posts so we can have a record copy of what we wrote that looks like what we wrote.

Test

I closed the browser and reopened

1. wonder if this still does the same thing,
    2. typing everything into the Visual edit window
    Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

Jessie here are a few elements of response for bugs

Odd html code

I couldn't reproduce this even psting from MS Word. I could delete the code on your posts an it stayed deleted. I will inverstigate on the WordPress forum if other people have experienced this.

Posts disappearing

If this happens again, with the post appearing in general or group activity, please let me know and point me to the post appearing in activity.

Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

Jessie, as far as requests are concerned

Notifications

• The notification emails do come with the name of the sender and the subject of the post appear in the subject of the Notification. For the layout I'm afraid there's not much we can do apart from having a programmer in house…
    • There seems to be problems with the forum self notifications I will investigate.

Other requests

• Could we have the program not erase partial entries in a form, like if you go to another page and come back.   Or… at least prompt you to OK a page change if you have unsaved text?

> Ok to leave page is a good idea. Or 'sticky comment' I will ask for it in a future update.

• Could we have the types of pages, like "group", "forum" and "project" pages visually distinct from each other?

> They are quite distinct in their content

• Could we have the documents in the document list, the forums and topics on the forum list, and the projects on the project list on, available on pull-down menus from the Group's main page?

> Not sure what you mean here. This can be built manually on the group custom pages if Groups extra is enabled. Have you tested the New Test Group to investigate this Jessie, I invited you in the group.

• Could we have the "quit the group button" in small type at the bottom of the page, along with a links to the help & bug report pages, and the style and reference pages?

> Not sure what you mean here… the help & support forum is available from the general menu, the 'leave group' button will probably be changed in a future update several people have already complained. Style & reference?? Look at what is possible with custom pages in the Nw test group.

• We really can't publish anything without spell check, Where's that?

> Spell checking is available see ABC button on the right side of the first toolbar of the visual menu (clich on the actual visual tab to have the toolbars appear)

• Could we be allowed to edit comments as needed?  Allowing only once is oddly restrictive.

> It's a time limit of 5 minutes. Allowing to edit posts a posteriori once notification have been sent and replies posted may be a problem…

• Shouldn't we be able to search the forums for key words, or tags.

> Forums can be searched from the home page and the discuss page (available from the main menu). I will make a request to add a search button on each forum page. Tags are available at the top of each topic.

• There's an option to reply to an individual comment, not just the group in general.  Couldn't we have it display a chosen thread of replies, and have a "tree view" of all the forum's threads.  That used to be standard, on the Usenet discussion groups sites 20 years ago… !!

> I'm looking for ways to improve the forums and discussion capabilities. In the meantime, let's start growing the tree! Next update will have threaded forums.

Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

Testing notification

Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

FYI @jessie-henshaw as a reply to your long list of questions and bug reports. You may have not seen it…

Thanks, no I had missed that for some reason. I don’t see a problem in editing things after a notification has gone out, as it’s generally for clarification. It’d be good to have a “delete” option too, for the admin or one’s own comments, so irrelevant or mistaken posts can be weeded out.

I’d also like the layout much more compact, photo half the size or smaller, Author ID and photo all on the top line, and to have a permalink so it’s possible to refer to or quote substantive comments deep in the haystack of chatter…

I can’t tell when, but I keep getting spurious HTML in forum posts, like when creating the first topic in the Commons Advocacy group Forum.

I’d really like to have drop down menus for ALL the items in the main menu bar, like for “Focus Groups” to provide a list of the focus groups to choose from OR right click on…! Which would be a big help for navigation, and not losing your place with other things.

Also, interestingly, on the CA group Forum topic I created, there are active edit options on the header of the initial message. So apparently it’s possible for those to be turned on in other forums too. http://commonsabundance.net/groups/sdg-development/forum/topic/record-reports-and-notes-on-the-sdg-dialog/

That page is also a good example of where the text at the top makes it look like the main group page, not a group/forum/topic page. Ideally the first post starting the forum topic is what you’d see as the text at the top, along with the group name and the words “Forum” and “Topic”, right? That’s how it is on LinkedIn, also an example of a more compact layout, though also without readily found permalinks.

Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

@jessie-henshaw I opened a thread on forums to gather all requests and questions there so I have them handy when I get the chance to address these issues. Could you post there? Thanks.

I guess I mistakenly created the "what's a project" thread. please erase if that's possible.

H. I tried to create a "project" called "Open Project" on the CAUN group and, it seems with one click created something kind of dysfunctional I can't erase…    I don't see how the admin controls work.   Just clicking an option and saving seems not to be reversible.   Is that the extent of the controls, that tool bar at the top?

If my suggestion to Lisinka is taken we can just use the CAUN group forum.   Is there any option for a 2nd Forum?

Helene Finidori
    Keymaster

Jessie, actually, it's better to have specific threads for each type of issue. better to mke our way around. So the project question is very well in a project thread.

As far as opening a second Forum, I am not sure what you mean… where? There's a forum on the Advocacy group that can accommodate all types of discussion in forms of topics. And also announcements that can be commented on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.