This group advocates a commons-based economy by giving input to Governments via the UN on sustainable development-related issues.
What we are working on and how.
This group is currently working on two huge topics:
1. The UN's post 2015 agenda for sustainable development and
2. The sustainable development goals (SDGs) where much of the action is likely to be.
Various of our participants have taken part in the 11 global consultations organized by the UN. Their content has been carefully summarized by the UN Secretariat and submitted to the High Level Political Forum (HLPF) which will oversee the UN's agenda for sustainable development. Its first official meeting will be during the High Level Segment at the outset of the UN General Assembly meeting in September 2013.
Our present focus is on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
1. We shall be further working out the ones we have worked on so far:
a. All Stakeholders Participate in Decision Making at all levels in the area of sustainable development;
b. Access to Clean Water and Effective Waste Management for All.
c. Universal Recognition of Earth's Systems as an Intangible Natural Heritage within which humanity is integrated.
2. We shall attend the meetings of the UN's Open Working Group that is developing the SDGs and give input from afar.
Our work is coordinated during Strategy Meetings that are open to those who are interested in promoting the work of this Group. Here participants share their activities with a view to mutual empowerment, decide on next steps and divide coordination responsibilities among members of the group.
Other activities are developed as needed.
How we are working
We open an interactive document for each of the SDGs we work on. We shall also be opening one on strategy as we decide which UN meetings to attend and which Governments to focus on.
At present the interactive documents we have submitted to the UN are:
- Universal Recognition of Earth's Systems as an Intangible Natural Heritage into which Humanity is Integrated
- All Stakeholders Participate in Decision Making in the Area of Sustainable Development
- Access to Clean Water and Waste Management
These will be further developed as the need arises.
In our work we use background materials developed by the UN and other organizations such as Stakeholder Forum.
Both types are available in folders via our Buddy Drive: Handouts on aspects of commons; and Background Materials
We meet in monthly strategy meetings where we decide which documents we need to develop and which actions we intend to take. Write to Lisinka.Ulatowska@gmail.com to have yourself placed on the mailing list or watch this site for announcements. (A location will be decided later).
The meetings will be held as follows: